Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Mini A2 Voice of the Theatre

  1. #1
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Someone just gave this to me to go with the full size A2 system I have. Only have one of them. Looks like 2 speakers were mounted inside, but there's nothing there now. Are there many of these in existence? You guys ever seen them before? I've owned my V.O.T.T. stuff for 20 years and I've never seen one. Haven't really been looking tho...

    What kind of speaker was originally mounted inside? They have removable backs just like the originals. The gentleman that gave it to me collects antique grammophones and cylinder players and said it was probably a salesmans sample that they used to take around to various theaters throughout the country. 210miniA2

  2. #2
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's a 61" Mitsubishi in case you're wondering.
    The guitar is a BC Rich "Virgin ***** ".

    Wish I had one more mini A2 to go with this one.

    c-ya

    Guy210miniA2a

  3. #3
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Another hi fi nut, guitar player eh?
    What a coincidence, I have a pair of A7's & a pair of mini A7's! Small world.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I saw an entire collection of these little things a while back sell on ebay. There was a LOT of pieces to it. A buncy the different bass cabinets, horns, and even drivers in miniature.

    I read from that auction also that they were probably sales samples.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I have most of a complete set of the small 1/10-scale models Altec sold to the contractors - they were for using in architectural models to see how they'd fit. They were also a good sales tool.

    What you have is NOT from that set - it is a promo piece done, as best I know, for motion picture theatres. They had a little speaker in them, but hte horns were solent - no drivers. They're fairly rare, and I have only seen one complete one - Bill Hanuschak has one.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Todd, how old is this (approximately) ? Got to ask you, should I try to restore this (i.e. clean it up - or sand it, paint it, and make it look like new) or leave it untouched? The minature Altec stickers would be hard to find....

    What about trying to mount some small speakers in it? Good idea or bad? Just thought it would be kinda cool if it actually played music. I have no idea of what would fit. It's amazing how closely it resembles the full size A2 system. The back panels remove to access the woofers just like the big ones do. The exponential horn part of the cabinet looks very, very similar to the real ones. The wings look a little off, but it's pretty dam close.

    Thanks,


    Guy

    p.s. got a picture of the all the mini's you have?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You know, here we have the idea of all ideas! The Voice of the Living Room Radio, tabletop, living room radio!

    Betcha sales would cut into that Bose wave radio thingy!

    forums

  8. #8
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just found the perfect speaker to go inside the
    mini A2. It's actually a full range speaker made by Bose for the dash of an $80,000 2005 Cadillac XLR. Four of them will fit in there perfect.

    Should I drill a hole in the back of the cabinet and install a 1/4" phono plug for easy hook up?

    I'm sure it's not going to be the greatest sounding little speaker in the world, but I kind of want to hear it anyways. With the Bose speakers and some insulation...... maybe stiffen up the cabinet a little from the inside.....

    Who knows ???

    It sure looks cool.

    I'll let you know how it sounds.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No highs, No lows, Bose Blows!

    forums forums forums forums forums forums

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    <font size="7">NO BOSE ALLOWED IN ALTEC CABINETS - YOU WILL BE FORCED TO LISTEN TO SLIM WHITMAN RECORDINGS PLAYED 24-HOURS A DAY FOR A WEEK THROUGH BOZAK SPEAKERS IF YOU DO!!!!</font> forums

    Seriously (who said I wasn't being serious?), try to find some of the little Altec 400-series speakers for those. You see them on eBay fairly often...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.